Dermaplaning FAQ & Post Care Instructions
What is Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is a more aggressive, pain free form of exfoliation that uses a small surgical blade to manually remove 2-3 weeks of dry, dead surface cells.
What skin conditions does it benefit?
Dermaplaning is recommended to treat dry, rough skin, acne scarring, uneven skin tone, large pore size, fine lines and unwanted facial hair. It produces a smooth texture, clear complexion and is beneficial for overall skin rejuvenation, boosting the production of collagen and elastin.
Is there downtime post treatment?
There is no downtime post dermaplaning treatment and you can resume your normal activities immediately following the treatment. There are, however, a few precautions to keep in mind in order to achieve optimal results and a positive experience. See the post care section for more information.
Dermaplaning is NOT recommended if you are experiencing any of the following:
- Current inflamed acne
- Pregnant or Lactating
- Severe melasma
- Skin cancer on face
- Active cold sores
- Uncontrolled Type 1 Diabetes
- Dermatitis including eczema and/or psoriasis
- Open skin legions
- Use of Accutane within last 12 months
Preparing for your Dermaplaining Treatment
- Discontinue exfoliation for 1 week prior to scheduled treatment. This includes manual (scrubs, Clarisonic) and chemical (salicylic, retinol, glycolic, lactic acid, etc) exfoliations.
- If using prescription topical exfoliants such as Differin Gel, Epi Duo, Aczone, Tretinoin, etc, it is recommended that usage be discontinued 2 weeks prior to treatment.
Post Care Instructions:
- Your skin may be slightly sensitive post treatment.
- Sweating and exercise should be avoided for 24 hours post treatment to reduce irritation.
- Discontinue use of alpha and beta hydroxy acids as well as facial scrubs or manual facial brushes for 10-14 days post treatment.
What should you use:
In the week or two post service, focus on hydration and the rejuvenation of your skin by using some of the
following glō!Therapeutics products:
- glōVitamin C Serums
- gloB5 or Advanced B5 Serum
- glōCorrective Soothing Serum
- CytoLuxe Serum, CytoLuxe Vitamin C + Serum and/or CytoLuxe Hydration+, CytoLuxe Face Essence
- glōRestorative Mask, glōCucumber Recovery Mask
- Any of the glō!Therapeutics Eye Creams or Eye Serums
When should you schedule your next treatment?
- This treatment can be done as a monthly maintenance plan or in a series of 3-6 consecutive treatments.
Your individual Aesthetician will help determine the most appropriate treatment plan for your skin.